Honeywell has over the years developed a range of air purifiers which are considered some of the best on the market from a single brand because of their efficiency in purifying the air indoors. Although it is a cleaner, over time the air purifier can get dirty, with all kinds of air particles getting caught in its vents and casing. This build-up can hamper the efficiency of the air cleaner and trap dust and bacteria. Cleaning your air purifier can be completed in less than an hour with readily available household items. This is a maintenance task that should be done at least once a year. In this tutorial, we will see how to clean Honeywell air purifier filter. For effective cleaning of the air, our guide will help you know about Honeywell air purifiers, the types of filters they feature, when you have to clean the air filter, and how to clean Honeywell air filter.
What kind of filters do Honeywell air purifiers feature?
Honeywell air purifiers are effective against up to 99.97% of microallergens in the air, thanks to their filtration system.
Your air purifier will likely carry at least two of these filters: a pre-filter, which traps large particles such as animal hair, and the main filter, which traps small pollutants. The Honeywell HPA300, for example, features the carbon pre-filter and the HEPA filter. The main filters in Honeywell air purifiers can either be a HEPA, ifD, or HEPA clean filter which can capture smaller microscopic particles.
You should look for an air purifier such as the Honeywell 50250-S that uses a True HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air). The filter in this type of device is the standard recommended by both the European Union and the World Health Organization (WHO). HEPA filters retain 99.95% (EU) or 99.97% (US standard) of particles 0.3 microns (millionth of a meter) or larger.
Frequency of filter cleaning
While Honeywell recommended that you change the filters of a Honeywell air purifier approximately every 6 to 12 months, the washable pre-filters should be washed once in a month and the main filter should be washed once in three months.
Our complete cleaning guide
Now let us discuss the steps you should take to keep your Honeywell air purifier filter clean.
What you will need
- Vacuum cleaner
- Surface cleaner or cleaning wipe
How to clean honeywell air purifier filter (step-by-step guide)
While experts claim a Trusted SourceCan a Portable Air Cleaner Protect You From COVID? For a few hundred dollars, you can purchase a high-quality home unit that can remove 99.97% of contaminants from the air, including the respiratory droplets that spread the virus. www.webmd.com , according to WebMD, the question is can you keep up with its regular need for maintenance? Below are instructions explaining how to clean a Honeywell air purifier filter.
- Vacuum the exterior of the purifier unit with the attachment of the vacuum cleaner. Place more emphasis on the air intake and outlet vents. Wipe the exterior with a well-wrung, slightly damp cloth or towel sprayed with a surface cleaner or a pre-moistened household cleaning wipe, such as Clorox wipes.
- Remove the HEPA pre-filter filter and the scrubber housing. Vacuum around each well and replace the pre-filter on the HEPA filter if necessary.
- With the filters removed, vacuum thoroughly the interior of the purifier for brush and crevice attachments. Pay special attention to the intake and exhaust vents where large debris can become lodged.
- Wipe the interior with a slightly damp cloth sprayed with a surface cleaner or pre-moistened wipe to pick up remaining dust and debris and to disinfect the interior surface.
- Replace the HEPA filter and pre-filters in the unit and secure the unit housing.
- Plug the unit into the power supply and turn it on to test proper operation.
Note: The procedure above explains how to clean HEPA filter Honeywell air purifier but it can also be applied for other types of pre-filters and main filters.
The demand for and the use of air purifiers have jumped since the coronavirus pandemic. Stuck in their homes, consumers naturally sought to improve the quality of the air they breathe, to prevent allergy problems but also to drive out bad smells and eliminate pollutants.
However, if you do not take the care to clean or change the filters of your air purifier regularly, they will be clogged and will no longer be of much use. The airflow from your air purifier will be reduced and the device will be much less efficient. However, be aware that clogged filters due to lack of maintenance can damage your air purifier. This is why we have shown you when and how to clean Honeywell air purifier filter.